Saturday 25 November 2017

Movies: Justice League (12A), Liar Liar (DVD – 12), Kung Fu Panda (DVD – PG), Swordfish (DVD – 15), Fun with Dick and Jane (DVD – 12A), & Timeline (DVD – 12)

Justice League (12A) – what’s it about? With Superman dead, Batman sets up a band of superheroes to help keep the world safe.

DC either tend to make good films or shit films – you never quite know what they’ll be, like Batman vs Superman – looked good but was pants but then on the other end of the scale take Suicide Squad which was pretty damn good. You get my drift anyway. Well this one sits nicely in between these two – it’s not shit but it isn’t awesome…I know, what am I saying – even though Jason Mamoa has his shirt off for most the movie which will get most ladies drooling this is still just a good movie. It had a good bit of story and action and of course the creatures that were described as “flying vampires” in it which automatically made me think omg it’s the Razielim…oh wait no it’s not damn. So is it worth seeing, yeah probably, it was good and worth a watch but sadly it didn’t live up to my high hopes.

Rating: ***



Liar Liar (DVD – 12) – what’s it about? A kid wishes for his dad not to be able to lie for a day, he’s a big shot lawyer and things go horribly wrong.

This is your typical Jim Carrey movie, over the top, silly but amusing and fun – some bits will of course go straight over the younger audiences head though. Its loud and obnoxious so definitely don’t watch if you have a headache. It’s kind of on the same level as Ace Ventura, so you know the drill. What else do I need to say, I’m not sure – because if you’ve seen one of his films you know kind of what to expect, and you will either probably love or hate it. It is good, mindless and a tiny bit cringe-worthy but I suppose all that’s what makes it so funny.

Rating: ***



Kung Fu Panda (DVD – PG) – what’s it about? Po works for his dad in a restaurant but has dreams of being a Kung Fu master and by accident dream comes true.

So I never watched this film and some people might think wtf. A friend of mine tried to get me to see the second one when it came out and I was like “I’m not seeing that, it looks shit”. So now comes the time when I eat my hat, I finally got the oomph up to watch this, after getting it for about 50p and I have to say it’s one of the best films I’ve actually watched recently. It was pretty funny and the story was ok, I don’t know it just was generally a good movie with some morals, a film that all the family would love. If you are like me and thought no fucking way, I’d totally give this one a chance…and that’s coming from a grumpy old goth.

Rating: ****



Swordfish (DVD – 15) – what’s it about? A hacker must assist an anti-terrorist group by stealing lots of money from the government.

I hadn’t seen this one for years and I probably picked the wrong time to re-watch it as I was pretty tired and existing was way too much effort let alone using my brain. It was an ok film – yep that’s basically as much enthusiasm as I can muster for it. The first part was meh – to tell you the truth I got bored and nearly gave up on it. The second half once the story got rolling was better and gave a little more too it but not enough to bring it back from the brain-numbing stage. I remember it being way more than what it was hence the re-watch but yeah I wasn’t overly fussed by it the second time around, which is a shame really.

Rating: **



Fun with Dick and Jane (DVD – 12A) – what’s it about? Dick is a hotshot Vice President, the company he works for goes bust and this is the families struggle for survival.

So this is a bit of a deeper story for the hilarious Jim Carrey in my mind, it’s a pretty serious subject for an adult to watch. The thought of losing your job, having to sell all your belongings, being on the verge of bankruptcy and losing everything you have worked for to give your family a good life – that’s some scary shit right there. They try to make the lighter side of this though giving it a laugh but yeah I couldn’t be picked up from the deeper thoughts on this one which is probably more on me than the film itself. It’s still a good movie and it has its comical moments which gave me a chuckle (especially the voice changer bit as I totally did that when I cosplayed a Goa’uld and had a voice changer) but yeah it’s sadly not one of his best films.

Rating: ***



Timeline (DVD – 12) – what’s it about? A professor gets sent back in time and his students have to go back to rescue him.

Soooo what can I say about this film with being nice? I was bored stiff, yeah the concept was good – I like a bit of time travel but I don’t know this just fell flat. There wasn’t enough to it to keep me entertained or maybe there was and I just wasn’t feeling it. The idea and story were sound but I don’t know – I just can’t put my finger on what was missing. It did make me laugh though as I totally thought it was made in the 80-90s but it was made in the early 2000s – it shouldn’t be that dated but it was. It was pretty hammy and sadly not in a good way – and I love a good cheesy B movie. Anyway yep I probably wouldn’t rush to see this one or pick up the DVD as sadly it’s not really worth it. Sorry.

Rating: *


No comments:

Post a Comment