Monday 26 September 2016

Movie: Ben-Hur (2016) (12A), Hell or High Water (15), Blair Witch (15), Don’t Breathe (15), Kubo And The Two Strings (PG) & Babylon A.D. (DVD – 12A)

Ben-Hur (2016) (12A) – what’s it about? A prince is accused of treason by his step-brother; after years of slavery he then seeks revenge.

This is a re-make and I have to admit I don’t think I’ve ever seen the original so I can’t compare the two. Oh yeah if you don’t know it’s a bible story so be prepared for that, that said though it’s not really overly religious all the way through, it touches of faith in parts but until the end it doesn’t really get all bibley – maybe like the last 15 mins or so are. I’m not religious – I’m far from it but I still enjoyed this one as it was generally a good all-rounder, compelling story and good acting and action so it was an entertaining watch. 

Rating: ****



Hell or High Water (15) – what’s it about? Two Texan brothers go on a bank robbing spree.

This is basically cops and robbers – two robbers with their motives set out to rob a series of banks across the US and the old sheriff’s department try to catch them. I was kind of expecting a little bit more action from this one as it was quite slow, a lot more story driven and sitting about than I thought it was going to be. It’s one of those movies you just watch and it doesn’t really do too much. I’m not like meh about it, it was enjoyable so don’t get me wrong but it just wasn’t spectacular.

Rating: ***



Blair Witch (15) – what’s it about? The sequel to the Blair Witch Project, years later the brother of one of the missing girls sets out to find out what happened.

This is very similar to the first one in that it’s a group of people going off into the woods making a documentary and they end up getting freaked out by loads of weird shit. It was jump scary in parts but as it’s set in the woods and in the dark – you know things are coming. It was good, maybe not as good as the original as it’s all been done before but then again this is a sequel and it’s rare they are better than the original.

Rating: ***



Don’t Breathe (15) – what’s it about? Three friends and would-be burglars pick the wrong house to rob.

I’m not sure really what to say about this one, it’s been advertised as a horror here but I wasn’t exactly scared by it (and I can be a wimp) maybe it was because it was with real people rather than spooks or maybe it’s that I watched it straight after Blair Witch. It had its adrenaline pumping moments and it really had me feeling for the characters so I was rooting for different sides at different points. This one’s a true cat and mouse game…and I was wondering who would come out on tops at the end of it. It was a good movie, maybe worth a bit more than my rating as the more I think about it the more I liked it, worth a watch.

Rating: ***



Kubo And The Two Strings (PG) – what’s it about? Young Kubo must find a suit of magical armour to stop the gods who are after him.

This is an animated movie and I have to admit I’m always fascinated by how they make these – such talent. The story is interesting and the characters are pretty cool (and amusing). I think there are parts which may upset really little ones though – just to warn you. The more I think about it the more I like it’d it, yeah I’d probably give it a watch if you like animated stuff and want a nice easy watching movie!

Rating: ***



Babylon A.D. (DVD – 12A) – what’s it about? A mercenary’s hired to transport a girl from Russia to the USA.

This is set sometime in the future and the world is a rough place…yeah so it’s pretty gritty, dark and dirty. I have to admit this was a random purchase and I wasn’t expecting much from it at all, but I was pleasantly surprised! It was filled with action and survival hope, and it had a loose story to tie it all together. I still can’t believe I’d never seen this one before! If you like a good action movie then this one might be right up your street.

Rating: ****


No comments:

Post a Comment