Sunday 1 September 2013

Legacy of Kain & Nosgoth

Ok well I can’t believe I haven’t mentioned the "L" word on here yet so to make up for it Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain, ok and breathe.

So what is this Legacy of Kain (LoK) I speak of? LoK is a computer game series which spans from 1996-2003 and over…currently…5 games (Blood Omen, Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance). It follows the story of Kain and his death as a human and resurrection as a vampire, as well as his later created vampire son Raziel who becomes a wraith. I don’t want to give too much a way but really you NEED to check it out if you haven’t already as it’s an epic action-adventure saga and is the most story based game I’ve played. To find out more check out the wikia or get on and download it on PSN!

Nosgoth – confirmed to be the new online-multiplayer game set in the LoK universe by George Kelion who has been kind enough to talk to the fans over at the Eidos Forum on this thread created by Aevum, so check it out for the latest stuff and information on the game. Also another great thread to check out is one created by Raina Audron which is a full FAQ for Nosgoth. An official announcement has not come out yet, let’s all hope it’ll be awesome!

Here’s the questions I've asked over on the Eidos Forums (so far) which the kind “games master” George himself has answered:
 
Me: May I ask what you mean by hands-on-trials? Is there going to be a demo of the game available? Is this just going to be for your testing team or can fans get involved?
Monkeythumbz: Yes

Me: Is there a plan for this to be a global release or will it be US and then Europe separate? (In UK/Europe we got Defiance about 4 months after the US which really did suck).
You said don’t think of the game as a single-player experience. Is it an online based game or not?
You said it was not a mobile game, will it be for current or next gen devices?
How long are we looking at before the game will be released (not looking for a date but can you say in terms of months or years)?
How many people are working on/developing the game?
Where is it being developed and which company(ies) are involved?
Who is the lead person, as in writer/director or is it a team effort?
Who are the artists involved on the design of this game?
You mentioned that there will be a separate forum for Nosgoth, will this still be on the Eidos forms or held elsewhere?
Will there be cool Nosgoth merchandise?
You have said you were a fan of LoK, what was the first LoK game you played in the series?
Next time you go to a meeting on this, can you wear a cape just because that’d be funny?
Monkeythumbz: I'm allowed to answer them all right now - the cat would be so far out of the bag it'd be purchasing picture postcards of bags out of nostalgia!
I'll answer what I can:
1.Nosgoth is online.
2.The first LoK game I played was Soul Reaver, followed by all the others. Mechanically, I think LoK:BO2 is really under-rated. LoK:SR2 is my fave though - dat story. FULL DISCLOSURE: I've not played the original Blood Omen.
3.I don't own a cape, but I will endeavour to get one because DAMN that would be funny. If I haven't done this in a couple of months then remind me. I will do this and get photos done to prove it.

Me: Is this game being made with the thought of longevity in mind? As it is online will there be enough NPC involved so it will be playable years down the line or will it very much revolve around how many people are actually logged on to how playable it is. I hope the team have considered the possibility that if this is good that fans maybe playing it years down the line. As you can see from posts here the community very much re-plays the games even long after they are released.
Monkeythumbz: I'd love to be able to answer that, but in order to do so I'd have to give so many details away it would spoil the reveal. Plus, if I answered vaguely, you could misinterpret me and this whole conversation was about trying to provide clarity early.

Me: Please don't be an RTS, please don't be an RTS, for the love of the Elder please!
Monkeythumbz: It's not an RTS either, although I'd question your love for the Elder God.

Me: Will there be area servers e.g. people in Europe play with/against each other, people in the US will play with/against each other etc or will it all linked so you can play with/against anyone in the world?
-What kind of age rating do you think it'll have? (your opinion, I know you can’t say officially yet).
-If you are a vampire will you have an option of feeding methods e.g. biting or super suck distance feeding?
-Will be a create your own character game or are there set characters for you to play?
Monkeythumbz: I'm afraid all that info is TBC, for now.

Me: You mentioned weapons, are we talking swords, crossbows, axes, maces etc…please tell me there aren’t any guns?
-Is it solely combat orientated? Or are there other elements like say you can be a mage or a healer?
-Will there be levels in the game e.g. defeat a boss you move to the next level or get a power up?
-Will it be team orientated? e.g. you and 10 players fight as a team against other players/non-player characters?
Monkeythumbz: No guns, but do remember Nosgoth is place where flamethrowers exist.
Um... kind of. The focus is very much on combat, at least for the time being.
Again kind of, but there are no bosses in the game as it's a competitive multiplayer experience (...with a twist). You do gain experience, but it's not like XP in an RPG.
Yes, although there are no in-game NPCs.

Me: is it like that as in you play 3rd person? Are there options between 1st and 3rd person?
Monkeythumbz: Nosgoth is a third-person game; there's no first-person camera available

Me: you said in the end that its not really that much like Unreal Championship 2, so it leads me to...what are the closest game(s) to Nosgoth on the market or is it so different from anything it can't really be compared?
Monkeythumbz: While Nosgoth is unlike any other competitive online multiplayer game that I've played or am familiar with, the closest comparison is probably Unreal Championship 2.

Me: so I’m getting the impression from the above that you’ve now played Nosgoth? Is this assumption correct and if so is it beyond awesome?
Also are special abilities involved for vampires? For example certain types of vampires will be immune to certain weapons?
Monkeythumbz: I've been playing Nosgoth since last December! It's come on a LONG way and I can honestly say that - as somebody who traditionally prefers playing solo narrative-driven games - it's made me appreciate multiplayer gaming in a whole new light and enjoy it in a whole new way.
But I guess I would say that, wouldn't I?
In all seriousness, it's a helluva lot of fun to play - that's definitely been the focus of the development team, making a fun game you'll want to come back to over and over.

Me: Is that as in 2011 or 2012? Either way this thing must be near on finished then, right?
Monkeythumbz: 2012.

Me: -Is there a training mode in the game? Or is it a case of straight in and have no clue of buttons etc?
Monkeythumbz: I wouldn't say an in-game training mode is really necessary - it's a very intuitive game and we've ensure that it's as pick-up-and-playable as possible. We'd rather create an environment where you just dived right in and got into the action straight away.

Me: I know you have a lot of questions queued up over the weekend but I wonder if you could take a moment to answer Majinkura's (I'm curious too): Majinkura’s question: will this game have controller input support?? or will it rely only on keyboard input?
Monkeythumbz: Right now, Nosgoth only supports mouse & keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment